Botha’s Hill Convent, set on a ridge of the Valley of 1000 Hills, was built in 1970 for the retired sisters from St Augustine’s Hospital in Durban and St Anne’s Hospital in Pietermaritzburg. The sisters lived and prayed here infusing the house with a sense of peace and welcome.
The Augustinian Sisters of the Mercy of Jesus have been in KwaZulu-Natal for more than 125 years. Hospitals, schools, frail care homes and orphanages have been under their care for generations. At the dawn of the New South Africa, to meet new needs, they began a new project – Umthombo Ka-Jakobe, Jacob’s Well.
JACOBS WELL RETREAT CENTRE
Jacob’s Well, a place of encounter:
- Where Jesus rested when he was tired
- Where he revealed himself to a woman
- Whose religion was different to his own
- Whose race was different too
- A woman whose life was such that she had few friends and no admirers
- Where she and Jesus talked before she hurried away delighted
- Even forgetting her water jar in her haste
- To tell of her meeting more refreshing than water from the well.
Jacob’s Well is far away, too far to visit, so we hope to bring it to Botha’s Hill among the well-known Thousand Hills:
- For some it will be a retreat house, an oasis to rest awhile
- For others a brief resting spot before resuming their hurried journey
- For still others a place to make a few friends
- For many we hope , a place to meet Jesus, whatever their lives might have been until now
- For all, a place to savour the waters that refresh and cleanse, that give new growth and sustain life itself.
Umthombo Ka-Jakobe, Jacob’s Well welcomes people for:
- Retreats, seminars, discussion groups, solitude and prayer.
- The Sisters invite those who wish to join them in their daily liturgical prayer.
- Half a day visitors or those who wish to stay for a week or more.
- 20 private rooms and can accommodate more if some share.
- A chapel, Two large meeting rooms, a quiet garden, a place for private talks.
- Good, home cooked meals and we can accommodate special needs if you ask us to.
- Breath-taking views of the 1000 Hills
- But most of all we have a well and we hope to welcome you sometime soon.
JACOBS WELL NEWS
Retreats offered in 2018: (Cost: R2200 per person)
- 25 June to 4 July: Fr Sunday Baba Ikpe OSA – Theme: Walking the perfect path: The joy of the soul
- 17 to 26 September: Fr Julius Onuoha OSA – Theme: Living life in the Spirit of Christ. From a biblical perspective
Have you heard? Bothas Hill Convent has now opened Mount Monica!